Dear Friend of the Family Literacy Center:
It is that time of the year when so many people and groups are earnestly asking for your time, attention and money. It is end of year campaign time, and we here at the Family Literacy Center are no different in that regard. We desperately need your financial support to continue what we do.
But why should you chose to send a donation to us? What makes the Family Literacy Center stand out?
- Our program is actually designed to empower people and change lives. With better literacy skills and education, our students can get and retain employment, support their families, earn more money, get a GED, and assure their children are better prepared for school. Literacy impacts nearly every aspect of a person’s life.
- We offer programs for infants, preschoolers, school-aged children and adults.
- We don’t charge participants for our programs. Those in most need of literacy building programs often live in poverty.
- Volunteers work to build our capacity. Volunteers are active in every aspect of our organization, from our 17 member Board of Directors, to volunteer tutors, clerical help, building maintenance and more. We work hard to stretch every dollar.
- We offer adult tutoring throughout the thumb area of Michigan (in Lapeer, Tuscola, Huron and Sanilac Counties through our Thumb Works partnership). We also have students from Genesee and Oakland Counties.
- We are accredited through ProLiteracy. This is not an easy process, but reflects our commitment to providing quality programs and accountability.
- We won the Governor’s Service Award for “Outstanding Volunteer Organization” in 2012. This is another sign that we are offering quality services to our community.
We know that your charitable giving dollars are limited. We hope that you will consider supporting this local not for profit organization striving to make a difference in our community. If you have any questions or would like further information, please do not hesitate to contact the Family Literacy Center at 810-664-2737 or email our Executive Director, Mary Shelton-Wiese. Thank you for your time and consideration!