What a wonderful evening we had at the Family Literacy Center Benefit Auction and Dinner! We have the VERY best supporters, donors and volunteers. Thank you to all who helped make this evening a success, especially our former student, Mark, who spoke to the group tonight and has had so many amazing successes!
Recognized at a ceremony with Michigan Governor Rick Snyder, the Family Literacy Center was a Winner of the 2012 Governor’s Service Award for Outstanding Volunteer Program, sponsored by the Michigan Community Service Commission.
Since 1980, the Family Literacy Center has provided free, one-to-one tutoring and skill-building workshops for adults who live or work in the Lapeer County area and want to read, write or speak English better.
We are now offering tutoring for children in the Lapeer County area in targeted school groups. This program has been made possible through a grant from the Dollar General Literacy Foundation.
- Free, confidential one-on-one tutoring for adults. In 2012, the Center tutored 548 adults in the thumb area. Sixty-two of them got their GED.
- Skill-building workshops for families
- “Hot-topic” workshops on ADD, Bullying, Learning Disabilities and more
- Playgroups for young children and adults
- Kindergarten Readiness and tutoring for school age children in coordination with local schools
Generous partners, donors, and volunteers make all of this possible. You can help us raise the critical funds that will keep these programs available, by donating today, or by participating in our exciting events!
We are partners for family success with the United Way of Lapeer County.